Monday, October 27, 2008

You Know You Love Books When...

You feel like a thief for getting so many cool books from the library. I just requested a cookbook with Remy, the rat from Ratatouille, that in the bookstores is shrink-wrapped so you can't even flip through it to see if you like the recipes before buying the book. My Eldest loves her kitchen play set and her play food, but is extremely picky - I'm hoping I can spark her interest in cooking real food and maybe she'll try it because she's cooked it.

I also just finished reading Acheron by Sherilyn Kenyon, which was a 759-page book, that I borrowed from the library. That is the best way to read a best-seller that you're not sure you want forever. While it was a good read, I don't know that I'd ever read it again, which just proves how wonderful libraries are. (I tend to only buy reference books now, books that I will go back to again and again, like cookbooks and writing reference books, etc.)

We live in a county that has a decent library, but we pay the out-of-county fee to go to the libraries in St. Louis, which is just $50.00 a year. And I can request practically any book I can think of, which helps when preparing the home school lessons. I have to find a wide variety of books on a multitude of subjects that can keep my girls interested. And Bill Nye the Science Guy rocks!!! Each time we go to the library we get one of his DVD's.

I'm even finding older books from my favorite romance writers that aren't in my local bookstores anymore. Sure, I could order them, but why spend the money when I can borrow them from the library? There have been times when I've read a book I liked so much that I went out and bought it, but lately a book has to be superb to earn a spot on my bookshelf with as many books as I have.

No comments: