Monday, November 10, 2008

My New Favorite Sandwich - VBAT (Vegetarian Bacon, Avocado, Tomato)

Lately I’ve been having a craving for my grandmother’s egg sandwich. But seeing as we don’t buy eggs anymore, I came up with something that still reminds me of her sandwich.

Bakery bread of your choice
half of a medium avocado, sliced into thin strips
Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Bacon, about 4 slices
2 slices of organic tomato
Smart Balance spread, about 1 Tbs.
Vegennaise, about 2 Tbs.

Here’s how I do it. Microwave the package of veg. bacon on a bacon cooking rack (I love this contraption; it’s easy to use and easy to clean). For 9 slices on high temp cook for 3 minutes, 40 seconds. (I always just cook up the whole package cuz I like to snack on it right out of the fridge.) I use about a third of a loaf of my grocery store’s bakery bread. Slice it in half and trim off some of the crust so it will fit in the toaster (my toaster has wide slots). When golden brown, spread 1/2 Tbs of Smart Balance, or your margarine of choice, on each slice. (My grandmother always spread butter on the toast before adding mayonnaise and I really like the flavor the buttery spread adds.) Then spread 1 Tbs. of Vegennaise on each slice of toasted bread. I put the avocados on first, then the tomato slices, then the bacon as it seems to stay stacked better that way. Place your top piece of bread on then slice the sandwich in half and enjoy!

Laura Knight copyright 2008

No comments: